The tank has been going for three years and 2 months now. Unfortunately, we lost our last pleco this month. So, not counting tetras, that’s three deaths so far.
…and yes, I re-did the layout again. Having the plants on the left side of the tank killed all of the water flow across the substrate. Having the plants on the left side also hides some of the electronics and some of the detritus that builds up between weekly water changes.
I hadn’t planned on having so many Amazon Swords again, but one of the plants shot out a runner with five or so daughter plants out of nowhere. I’ll probably pull some out as the start to grow.
I just realized that it has been almost a year since my last tank update. I hope I can make up for that with a larger than usual batch of photos. The tank is still going strong, although I did remove most of the Amazon Swords to give the discus more room to swim.
I hope you enjoy!
On Friday we made our second attempt at home-made discus food. Sarah mixed the following ingredients in a Cuisinart food processor that we bought for the purpose:
- 1/4 pound of medium shrimp (about 8-10)
- A handful of Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake for color.
- 7 cloves of garlic
We plan on adding some green leafy vegetables to the mix in the future, but we wanted to start out with a simple ingredient list.
We added the garlic last, which was a mistake. The processor wasn’t able to break it into small enough pieces with the other ingredients already mixed in. Next time, we’ll make sure to process the garlic by itself.
We split the mix in two and added half of a very ripe banana to one part for binding. We’re not sure how well the mix will hold together in the water and wanted to experiment with different binders. We then placed each of the two batches into sandwich bags and froze them overnight.
We didn’t feed the fish on the night when we made the food. The next morning, we broke off a small piece of the batch without banana and dropped it into the tank. The good news is that the mix seemed to stay together. Unfortunately, the fish weren’t willing to actually eat any of it. The red cherry shrimp in our tank seemed to like it, but the discus turned up their snouts. We vacuumed the food out as part of our weekly water change.
I’ve read that it can take up to two weeks to introduce discus to new foods, so we’re trying to be patient. We’re also considering adding a few frozen bloodworms on top of the food to try and trick the fish into tasting it.
I can’t believe how long it’s been since I’ve posted! In my defense, I got married, had a kid and got a new job in the meantime. You can imagine that blog posts slid pretty low on my priority list! To be honest with you, I’m proud that I’ve even been able to keep up with my water changes.
At any rate, here’s a two for one update on my tank: